Clay (short for Clayton) is a crotchety old saddle tank engine.
Clay was built in 1908 and was the first and oldest Engine of the Waterdown Railway and helped build most of the railway alongside Mr Traverse's Grandfather and Creed.
Clay is typically a very stubborn old tank engine who constantly rattles on about how things were much better in the olden days. Because of this he, unintentionally, gets on the other engines nerves, particularly Cojak, and upon them teasing him about the olden days will typically get annoyed. Clay also sometimes overestimates his performance. Despite this Clay is a hard working Tank Engine with a good heart and will always try to offer advice to the younger engines.
H̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶C̶r̶e̶e̶d̶’̶s̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶b̶r̶o̶w̶s̶.̶
Clay is painted in BR black, minus an early emblem or late crest.
- Clay Is based on SECR (South Eastern And Chatham Railway) S Class No.685, of which was a converted C Class. It was scrapped upon withdrawal in 1951.
- Public Enemy
- Down The Drains
- From Dusk Until Dawn
- Going Haywire
- Nightmares (does not speak)
- The Mail Bag Snag (cameo)
- Rebel Iron (cameo)
- Kindred Spirits
- Merry Christmas Lines (audio)
- 2016 SIF Alternative Christmas Message
- Haydn: Public Enemy onwards